Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!


Happy new year to all, and to all a good night!
-

I've been saving this post for a while, and decided that the first day in the new year would be the right occation to show off what has been decorating my veranda the last couple of weeks. This is a variation on a brilliant idea I found on the always inspirational blog Resurrection Fern. Klick this link for her original post on this project. While she used lace doilies, I had neither doilies nor pans big enough for the job. But I had something just as good! Last winter I made quite a few crochet snowflakes that were still lying in a crumpled pile in a drawer - and some small plastic containers that were the perfect size.
-
It couldn't be simpler. Just lay your lace in any flat bottomed container that can safely be frozen, fill with a centimeter or so of water and wait overnight! Making sure you have a string attatched at this point is an advantage. I hadn't even weaved in the ends of my snowflakes yet and simply used those. I suppose using boiled water would eliminate most of the small bubbles that form during the freezing process - I might try it out some time, but I really like them just as they are now! :)
-
After two nights I had a whole row of icy snowflakes decorating my veranda! These will no doubt be the replacement to the snow lanterns I used to make when I lived on ground floor appartments. I've already remade them once, but the temperature quickly dropped back to 10-15 degrees Celcius and this time it seems like it will stay low for a few weeks, actually. I can't even remember last time that happened. It's so perfect that we had a true White Christimas, and then finish off the old year and start the new one with this amazing winter!
-

Wishing you all a happy and peaceful brand new year!

2 comments:

  1. Nydelig! Kjempegod idé! Godt nyttår! SiRi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are just fantastic and I love that you used your handmade snowflakes instead of lace doilies.
    Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment! I read and enjoy every single one! :)
Because of a sudden surge of spam lately, I've decided to disable anonymous comments, in hope of eliminating the problem. Thank you for your patience. :)