Sunday, May 10, 2009

A little experiment

A few weeks ago I discovered how I could make time-lapse videos with my DSLR and calculator. I've been dying to try it out but never got around to it. But last night I set up my camera and calculator on my veranda and had go! Today I've played around in MonkeyJam to see if I could make it work. After a bit of trial and error I had a video that played well and was small enough to please Blogger's demands. Ta-daaa!



This video covers a time span of about an hour and a half. The photographs were taken with an interval of about 30 seconds, although I suspect that the interval became longer as the very old batteries in the calculator slowly died. The shutter and aperture were controlled manually and set to a slightly brighter exposure than needed when I started, as I knew it would soon be very dark. The wiew isn't very exciting, but I just needed something readily available. Now that I know it works, I can go hunting for more action! ;)

I wish I had discovered this technique a couple of weeks earlier - I had an idea that would have worked great in my brother's wedding. Oh well, I might have a chance do something similar in a friend's wedding this summer.

So, here's the setup: TI-83 Calculator with connection cable plugged into my Canon EOS 350D's remote shutter release socket, mounted on the wonderful GorillaPod.

2 comments:

Thank you for taking time to comment! I read and enjoy every single one! :)
Because of a sudden surge of spam lately, I've decided to disable anonymous comments, in hope of eliminating the problem. Thank you for your patience. :)